2015/01/07

Natto - fermented soy beans

Strange, sticky and with a strong smell. 

This is "natto."


I know that it is gross if you see natto for the first time.



Natto is fermented soy beans and said to be nutritious because of natto bacteria; a good-for-you bacteria, which is not only rich in protein and vitamins but also high in fiber. 



And I'm sure, trying "natto" is the biggest hurdle for foreigners because of how it looks.
But most people in Japan really like to eat this. 

As for me, I eat everyday! 

You can easily get it at supermarkets and convenience stores, and the average price is "100 yen" for a set of three packs. 

And today, I'll show you how to eat it!

First, open a package and take out the special sauce(like soy sauce) and mustard(though I don't like it) which normally come with natto and mix together.




Then, keep mixing them until it gets even stickier.




Now, everything is ready!

Some people would put it on rice, which I sometimes do.
Others mix it with sliced green onion or a raw egg.

Go ahead and have a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment