2015/01/03

Otoshidama - a money gift for kids in Japan

Money makes money. 
Money makes the world go round. 
It is all about money.

Yes, I know, money is so important!

I was so surprised that there are so many proverbs about money.


In Japan, we have a custom of giving money to kids in oshougatu, it is called "otoshidama."

As I wrote in my former post, osyougatu is for family. So family and relatives gather on this occasion and the adults have to give money to each kid. We normally give them when the child enters a kindergarden or an elementary school, but it depends on each family to decide when they start to give.

The image of "otoshidama."

Yeah, I used to be given a lot of money, and it was one of the exciting moments in the year.


But time is money, all kids grow up! 






No comments:

Post a Comment